Running a marathon? Here’s some inspiration for running:
I was just thinking the other day about my new pair of shoes I got for Christmas – they’re stylish new high-tops and as much as I love them, they’re totally inappropriate for running. This got me thinking about the structure of a shoe, and how just a few differences would give us such dramatic results if we tried to run in them.
If you think about it. all shoes are basically a variation of laces, grip and support: but the varying amounts of each gives us different results – because each one of these three elements contributes to our performance.
- Without laces, the shoe would lack integrity, and our foot would fall out.
- Without grip, we would lose traction and power- we would slip and slide and not get anywhere.
- Without support, we would not be able to take the right action and we wouldn’t get anywhere- It would be like running in flip-flops, which I hear is possible…
As runners, we learn a lot about integrity, power, and action:
- When we talk about doing a marathon, we learn the principal of integrity. We say we’re going to do something, and we show up for it – we run mile after mile because we said we would.
- Our bodies become powerful over time - strong enough to push through all those miles to achieve our goals. We know this power came from sticking to our training plan, from our integrity.
- But we also know, that we can’t call ourselves a ‘runner’ if we don’t take action – we know that the best thing we can do each day, is fight the urge to stay in bed, or watch one more hour of X-Factor. We take action, we lace up, and hit the road.
So really, if I want to see results in any part of my life, I just have to apply what I learned from running.
I can apply it to this blog – this idea I have of starting a movement in runners to help the homeless was an idea I had for ages. Much like writing my training plan out, I set a goal of starting this blog and looked at what I would need to do to get that going, and I’ve stuck to that plan so far – this is my integrity. Because I’m sticking to that plan, I’ve had nearly 5000 hits on this blog since November and I am begining to feel like there is some power in this movement. And I chose to take action, I took that first action of signing up on wordpress, and I take action every day when I write.
I don’t know whether this will be successful or not, but what I do know, is that there are results. I realize that Integrity, Power and Action are the key drivers to getting results.